80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lowers for "Other Than AR"  (Read 1446 times)

OldSchABN

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Lowers for "Other Than AR"
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »

Greetings All, first time on board, had a few questions about legalities with unfinished lowers which you gentlemen may be able to assist with. This is of course is for the sake of conversation. I've seen crossbow uppers, and black powder uppers bolted onto AR lowers. By cutting the FCG pocket into the receiver, this has now rendered the lower as a "Firearm" by definition. My questions being as such..., if one manufactured a crossbow upper, redesigned the "bolt release mechanism" to a totally different configuration to that of the AR FCG configuration, being since the AR FCG no longer is capable of being readily installed into said lower, is this lower still considered a "Firearm" ? By the mere act of cutting a pocket regardless of the configuration into the lower even though it cannot be readily converted to accept existing AR FCG parts without "extensive machining", could one be in possession of a "Firearm" even though it is not a firearm and not designed to be so?
Black powder uppers..? Modern day or not? Uses a 5.56 case with 210 primer, single load mag follower, manual ejection, black powder propellant and loaded from muzzle. WHAT is this ?
Great Forum, I had seen some of the topics I brought up, was more than curious as to how these would be classified and thought that if anyone would have answers, more than likely you guys would be the go to oracle.
Personally, I would rather see a really nice rifle completed on a lower, but I also see what other people are finding to do with lowers.  Thanks again for a very useful and necessary website. 

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lowers for "Other Than AR"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:51:41 AM »

I answered this the other day but I don't see my own reply here. What I had written was I would say it would be a firearm based on what ATF had put in their press release about receiver blanks. This 80% is only partially machined but was ruled to be a firearm.

OldSchABN

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »

Thanks for the input. Absolutely amazing......Do you think it's due to the mag well being cut in? I wonder if that would determine any difference?  I'm assuming that their determinations are based solely on the basis that even though a lower looks cosmetically like an AR lower and cannot be easily made to function as an AR lower, it's still an AR Lower. Period.
Something to be said for power, control and ignorance.......
Thanks again, love the forum.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

I don't know how they make the determination but I guess since it has any machining done to that area it was deemed a firearm.