80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: POLYMER 80%  (Read 11755 times)

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
POLYMER 80%
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »

Hi every one I have a polymer 80 G150 and I plan on using a different jig than the one it came with because I don't have access to a drillpress so with an aluminum jig that has a 5/32 drill bit plate to start making lots of little small holes and the 3/8 plate for the trigger, then I would remove that plate and place the milling plate on and with a small router start milling out the rest of the material.
I honestly belive I could pull this off and have a functioning lower reciver, would anyone else belive otherwise?

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: POLYMER 80%
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »

Are you sure the router base won't run into the upper part of the receiver that the buffer tube attaches to?

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »

please watch the ezjig video on youtube.

drill one of your holes larger than your mill /router bit.

This will give you a place to start without plunging, and chattering.

Take small bites.

I will try to add more this evening.

I have made a few using various jigs and lowers.

I will share some of my successes and mistakes.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »

Are you sure the router base won't run into the upper part of the receiver that the buffer tube attaches to?

You may have a point there jefe! from the buffer tube mount up to where I would cut with the router there is about 1" space, I don't have the router yet but this is the one I plan on getting from harborfreight
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-24-amp-trim-router-61626.html

I figure the bottom plastic plate on the router should just about touch the buffer tube mount it might or it might not. In this youtube video this guy places a lower reciver in the jig and places the plates on it and it seem's it has some clearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovWO6KM48TU

the other thing that I need to change is the end mill that came with the G 150 it's about 3/4" at the shank, the HF router is only 1/4" chuck. so I'll need to add a 1/4" end mill to this project.
I'm trying to make it as economical as possible to achive good end result's with what I may have or could afford.
I'm buying my upper from daytonatactical this Friday, I'm still short BCG and a charging handle and iron sight's. So I'd rather invest in the more expensive part's to complete my build.
helidude,thank's  I do plan on takeing it slow both with the hand drilling and the router.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:16:49 AM by Mosin9130 »

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »

That's why the Easy Jig and TM retrofit kits have a riser plate. Any router will hit the receiver without it. The Modulus Arms jig just has taller plates and doesn't use a riser. I've pondered using one of the milling jigs with a router but it doesn't work for that reason. Tactical Machining makes a kit that turns their milling jig into a router jig because it wouldn't work with a router otherwise.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »

... so with an aluminum jig that has a 5/32 drill bit plate to start making lots of little small holes and the 3/8 plate for the trigger...

.375 (3/8") is too big. The trigger slot is only .312 wide.

The Router you linked does not appear to be variable speed. Choose one that is.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »

... so with an aluminum jig that has a 5/32 drill bit plate to start making lots of little small holes and the 3/8 plate for the trigger...

.375 (3/8") is too big. The trigger slot is only .312 wide.
I made have made a mistake on the measurement.
The Router you linked does not appear to be variable speed. Choose one that is.
since Iam in no rush, would it work if I go slow and light passes?

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »

No matter how slow you go you still haven't overcome the problem of the router hitting the receiver. You need to take the router base above the top of the receiver.

You need something like this:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-jigs/80-ar15-jigs/80-router-jig-adapter.html

That converts their (and only their) milling jig for use with a (palm) router.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-jigs/80-ar15-jigs/80-ar-15-jig-gen-2.html

If you want to use a router you're better off just getting one of the router-based jigs.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »

since Iam in no rush, would it work if I go slow and light passes?

There are two main players in the 80% router jig market Modulus and 80% arms. Here is what both of them have to say on the HF router. In the interest of full disclosure, I am the tech rep for Modulus arms.

Q: What router should I use?
A: We recommend the Ridgid R24012. There are many others we have had good results with including; Dewalt D26670, Makita RT0701C, Porter-Cable 7310, Bosch PR20EVSK and Porter-Cable PCE6430. Harbor Freight and Black and Decker have been known to have poor results. There are many that will work and the important thing is that is has a 1/4" chuck and is variable speed.

Tested routers we do not recommend:

Harbor Freight / ToolMaster 2.4 Amp router - Lacks power and can have too much runout ~ $30
1/4" Trim Router

Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp router - Multiple customer reports and Amazon reviews of depth control mechanism slipping ~ $103
http://amzn.com/B000ANQHTA
There are users who have not had any problem with this router and recommend it. Seems hit and miss if your unit will have a slip problem.

Black & Decker RP250 10 Amp router - We tested multiple RP250 routers with poor finish results each time ~ $76
Black & Decker RP250 10-Amp 2-1/4-Inch Variable Speed Plunge Router - Power Routers - Amazon.com
This was one of the worse routers we tested.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »

No matter how slow you go you still haven't overcome the problem of the router hitting the receiver. You need to take the router base above the top of the receiver.

You need something like this:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-jigs/80-ar15-jigs/80-router-jig-adapter.html

That converts their (and only their) milling jig for use with a (palm) router.

tacticalmachineing does not ship to where I live, don't know why though? but they dont

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-jigs/80-ar15-jigs/80-ar-15-jig-gen-2.html

If you want to use a router you're better off just getting one of the router-based jigs.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »

keep in mind that I will  be milling out  a Polymer lower. not aluminum

so this 1/4 in. 2.4 Amp Trim Router  would not work on a polymer lower?
I also looked at   http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-fixed-base-router-68341.html
but this one the fixed base seem's to big

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »

the router that I chose was the DWP611.
Variable speed, Dewalt decent price at Homedepot.com
$117.96 shipped. arrived less than a week.
works great, easy to use.
There is a cheaper version without variable speed, and matching porter cable models.
ezjig rep said that the dewalt and porter cable were made by the same people.
The rigid version looks similar to me.
The harbor freight may work, but my experience with cheapie tools is they don't run true, they melt down with extended use, and when they fail they damage your work and maybe you.
What you save on the tool, you may spend more in damaged parts and damaged mill bits.

no matter what brand you choose, check the collet often.
Early on, my new chuck hadn't settled/ worn in, and loosened up.

out of round, longer length, out of balance, chattered my work, damaged the mill bit and woke me up.

We are using these routers not as intended, so they are exposed to more vibration and load.

Always make sure the tool is stopped ( not just switched off) before removing it from the work. ( yes, even I did that too)

And the shavings get everywhere, everybody is mad at you.

we are not using

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »

I have done polymer and aluminum.
I am almost tempted to try the harbor freight router just as a challenge.

I've done ep gen1 and gen2 and a jmt gen1.

One thing to watch for is the "biscuit".
As you are working, sometimes pieces of the biscuit will separate larger than the shavings and cause problems.
Just stop and remove them.
it isn't horribly loud, but better to use earmuffs or plugs. ( shooters should have these anyway)

If it is screaming:
Your are taking too much
You are feeding too fast
Your bit is dull/broken
Collet may be loose
Other

Polymer goes quickly, but it can be tempting to take too much.

Polymer being soft can also have a tendency to "grab" and pull the tool, but probably not a direction you want.

Be sure that you have an "exit" to get hands clear and step away and be able to unplug the tool should it get away from you.
 there is no guard once the bit is out of the jig.

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:19 PM »

I drill the trigger, hammer, and selector holes first.
I find they turn out cleaner that way.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 02:03:33 PM »

keep in mind that I will  be milling out  a Polymer lower. not aluminum

so this 1/4 in. 2.4 Amp Trim Router  would not work on a polymer lower?
I also looked at   http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-fixed-base-router-68341.html
but this one the fixed base seem's to big

"Single speed 28,000 RPM" That right there ought to answer your question. Also after you finish the plastic one, you will want to do an aluminum one.

As I mentioned, I work for Modulus arms. Besides having done many of these builds myself, I spend 8 hours a day 5 days a week working with customers who are doing 80% builds themselves. Some more successfully than others.

Talking with builders daily, I know what works and where people went wrong. My job is to turn the latter, into the former. You asked for advise, but it appears that you don't like the answers that you received from any of us who took the time to try to help you. Every one who responded advised getting a variable speed, yet you are still determined on getting a fixed speed router.
Pages: [1] 2 3