80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: POLYMER 80%  (Read 10551 times)

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: POLYMER 80%
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »

KNS precision has some good parts for slings that I have used for ar15. I'm not familiar with that shotgun, but will keep it in mind on my "travels" on the net.
Cheap swivels will dump your gun also. Dropped my 308 franken rifle twice. QD swivels on that one. Not sure what brand. replaced them with swivels from Damage Industries.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2015, 03:02:25 AM »

well I got my H&R pardner pump 12ga from bud's gun shop it's a Remington 870 clone it's in the $200. market, the first one I got from bud's had a bent magazine tube they replaced it with a new shotgun, haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but it seem's very solid and all 870 part's do fit it except the 870 barrel witch the barrel lug is located a bit backward's and would need a pipe shim over the magazine tube. I think it's a nice shotgun for the money.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »

well reading the specifications from this drillpress and the x-y vice everything should fit nicely with room to spare the plate can be moved out of the way to accommodate   the vice. drill press is 8" vice 5 5/8" hight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-rugged-cast-iron-drill-press-milling-vise-69159.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »

Harbor freight laminate router:

For grins and the challenge since it was on sale I purchased the hf laminate router.
Installed my ez jig mill. When I turned it on, the bit didn't spin, it made a circle.
1/4" bit made a 1/2" swath. Swapped it for my spare bit. Same result.
Put the bits back in my dewalt to verify true.
Returned the defective one to Harbor freight and exchanged for another.
Installed a bit. Turned by hand with same out of round. Marked the bit location, turned 180 degrees and verified out of round was the tool.
Never even plugged in the second one.
It will be returned my next trip out.

While I expected less quality, or longevity from this tool, I am still disappointed.
This tool is not even suitable for a one time task for what its designed for.
I currently can't think of anything that it could be used for.

Since we are using these tools for a purpose they weren't in tended for, I would expect some to not be suitable.
Most router bits will be sticking out 1 or 2" so at 4" like we are using I would expect minor defects to be exaggerated.

My dewalt works.

Maybe we should start a tool thread since this one is kinda getting derailed.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »

While I expected less quality, or longevity from this tool, I am still disappointed.

Too bad that somebody did not warn you of this. Like say way back on reply #8 to this thread

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

actually I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't expect good results. But I was able to do a test/review sort of.  It was cheap enough to play with and confirm data. It was no cost to me other than time. My money was refunded.  I spent it on cheese sticks and met some cute girls too.

Mosin9130

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 07:02:39 AM »

For grins and the challenge since it was on sale I purchased the hf laminate router.
Installed my ez jig mill. When I turned it on, the bit didn't spin, it made a circle.
Installed a bit. Turned by hand with same out of round. Marked the bit location, turned 180 degrees and verified out of round was the tool.

Since we are using these tools for a purpose they weren't in tended for, I would expect some to not be suitable.
Most router bits will be sticking out 1 or 2" so at 4" like we are using I would expect minor defects to be exaggerated.

My dewalt works.

helidude, I appreciate that you took a chance on this tool well it didn't work out, I looked at that router again and changed my mind decided to go with my first choice the 8" drill press I have read and seen good youtube reviews on this press. The X-Y vice on the other hand has it's quirks looking at other vice's on Amazon. The HF  vice look's like it need's some shim's, in the polymer 80 Utube video they seem to be using the same vice and it got the job done.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »

My dewalt works.

That is pretty bad. In my router collection I have a HF (Chicago whatever their house brand is) plunge router and it worked pretty well in wood projects. I have not tried a HF router, or any laminate router, for machining.

hoekster

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 04:04:22 PM »

I was noticing this thread from a few months ago and thought I would chime in...

While I put a lot of stock in what those with meaningful experience have to say on this matter, I have noticed (as all of us do from time to time) that there are always exceptions.  I say this because I have one of the Drillmaster trim routers from HF and I used it to rout an 80% 7075 receiver from Tactical Machining.  My lower came out perfect with a mirror-like finish.  I am sure that I was mostly just lucky, but I also knew the deck was stacked against me to begin with. So, I took much lighter bites than I might otherwise have taken with a better machine, and I was patient. 

I am not trying to refute the wisdom of those who know better... just saying that sometimes you encounter those rare exceptions.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 04:29:33 PM »

I was noticing this thread from a few months ago and thought I would chime in...

While I put a lot of stock in what those with meaningful experience have to say on this matter, I have noticed (as all of us do from time to time) that there are always exceptions.  I say this because I have one of the Drillmaster trim routers from HF and I used it to rout an 80% 7075 receiver from Tactical Machining.  My lower came out perfect with a mirror-like finish.  I am sure that I was mostly just lucky, but I also knew the deck was stacked against me to begin with. So, I took much lighter bites than I might otherwise have taken with a better machine, and I was patient. 

I am not trying to refute the wisdom of those who know better... just saying that sometimes you encounter those rare exceptions.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing that info. Do you know what kind of end mill you have or where you bought it from? Feel free to post pics of the machined pocket if you want.

hoekster

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 09:20:39 PM »

I don't have a brand name for the end mill, but I am pretty sure itis US made. I got it at a local industrial tool supply house.  It is pretty similar to the one 80% Arms sells with their jig - 1/4" 4-flute carbide, 1" loc.

When I get some pics of the pocket, I can post them. However, one pocket sort of resembles another.

Thanks for the welcome!

hoekster

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »

I've added a couple pics of my lower. After seeing it in better light I think I should revise my statement about "mirror-like" finish.  I see a few chatter marks here and there,  but it's still better than I expected using a Drillmaster trim router.

Also, I was asked about the origin of my end mill. I checked and see that it was made by Garr Manufacturing in Alma,  Michigan.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:19 AM »

Looks good and it will certainly do the job. Here's a link to that tool maker.

http://www.garrtool.com/

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »

Any specific links or model numbers of what end mills will work just to have for spares?

enginetrics

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:16 PM »

well reading the specifications from this drillpress and the x-y vice everything should fit nicely with room to spare the plate can be moved out of the way to accommodate   the vice. drill press is 8" vice 5 5/8" hight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-rugged-cast-iron-drill-press-milling-vise-69159.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

I know this is an old thread but had to add this since Mosin9130 posted the links to the Harbor Freight items that I happen to be using to mill my receivers. My first build, All I used was the HF press and a steady hand. It was a pain but got the job done. My second build was with the press and stationary vise clamped to the press table. This was also a pain as the jig was tall and gave very little clearance to work with and constantly having to loosen vise and move the jig. The third build got rid of the stationary vise and went with the XY vise from HF. The XY vise was way too tall so I had to move the press support table about 130 degrees counter-clockwise and bolt it down to the work bench with 8 inch carriage bolts. I then put the XY vise in position and bolted it down to. What I ended up with is a really cheap 'mill'. Pros: It works similar to a mill. Cons: Its not a mill; Its not as accurate as I would like (due to HF quality).
With all this being said, It is possible to put together a 'Mill' using cheap HF tools for less than $100-$120 (use the HF 20% coupons and watch the sales).
The end result? Not to bad but depends mainly on the user. If you rush it and try to power through the job, you will fail. If you take your time and focus on accuracy, you will succeed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]