80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Etching/engraving options  (Read 2155 times)

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Etching/engraving options
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »

So what options are out there for doing etchings/engravings/markings for 80% lowers that are already anodized?  I've read up some on what Vader spade did on AR15.com and a few other sites but it seems like everything has been done with lowers that are not finished. 

Seems like most of the options are CNC or laser engrave, not much for "old school" vinegar methods.  I'm guessing that going that route on a pre-anodized lower will probably result in it having to be totally re-finished? 

I'm not really looking at doing a logo on my first build but I would like to have the "mod (initials), cal" on it.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Etching/engraving options
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »

As long as you have them engraved before you do any of the finish work you can have it done by anybody, a trophy shop for example.
But as soon as you put as little as one hole in it, it becomes a receiver and can only be handled by an FFL.

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »

Right, I understand about the ATF's rulings regarding it becoming a firearm I was just wondering what options there are as far as DIY without having a CNC or something of that sort at your disposal.

One other thing that I've somewhat gathered, if I'm understanding correctly too, you don't "have" to have a S/N on the rifle but there have been some people out there who have had experiences with LEOs trying to explain why they are at a range or wherever with a rifle that doesn't have a S/N and the entire concept of 80% and home builds.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »

Right, I understand about the ATF's rulings regarding it becoming a firearm I was just wondering what options there are as far as DIY without having a CNC or something of that sort at your disposal.

One other thing that I've somewhat gathered, if I'm understanding correctly too, you don't "have" to have a S/N on the rifle but there have been some people out there who have had experiences with LEOs trying to explain why they are at a range or wherever with a rifle that doesn't have a S/N and the entire concept of 80% and home builds.

You can still engrave an anodized receiver. I have had them engraved with a cutter and also engraved with a laser. The laser engraving I had done was just burning on the surface. I don't know if the more powerful lasers can burn to depth but it wouldn't surprise me.

You don't legally need any markings on the receiver/firearm if it is home built. You may have to explain that if confronted by law enforcement. I would print out the ATF guidelines if you anticipate an issue. Defacing a serial number is a crime. Making a firearm from scratch without a serial number is not.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »

While I have heard dozens of stories like that, I have not seen a single one where that actually happened. All the stories were "what if" or it happened to my sister's, boyfriend's, cousin's, friend or some such nonsense.

Firearms were not even required to even have SNs before the GCA of 68. I have a pre 68 Ted Williams (Sears & Roebuck) shotgun that has no numbers.

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »

I will have to say that for the most part LEO is pretty good around here, there have been occasions when hunting and checking game in that a DNR guy will strike up a friendly conversation and want to see what you got the game with, that is honestly the only thing that I can see coming up.  My family has quite a bit of acreage so 80% of the shooting will be up there.  I was just planning on building a 300blk as a AR hunting rifle.  The etching/engraving is more for my own "giggles".  I've got a couple of Spike's Tactical ARs and I've always like the engravings and coloring on them so that's what my questions are aimed at.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »

The etching/engraving is more for my own "giggles".  I've got a couple of Spike's Tactical ARs and I've always like the engravings and coloring on them so that's what my questions are aimed at.

I'm with you on that. Having a blank canvas for my own designs and selector markings is a lot of the fun for me. I created a "ghost gun" design which I had laser engraved and then just mocked up a couple for fun but didn't ever do anything past that.

http://www.80percents.com/smf/index.php?topic=37.0

http://www.80percents.com/smf/index.php?topic=38.0

The selector markings on the purple My Little Pony mock up always make me laugh. I crack myself up sometimes.

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:47 PM »

Ya, that is pretty cool!  I'd be happy for some basic text for my 1st one.