80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 80% receiver finishing tips  (Read 2141 times)

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
80% receiver finishing tips
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »

Just a few things that I've picked up along the way.

A short piece of 1-1/2" painters tape is just the right size to protect the lower while performing the machining operations.

A 1/4" clevis pin not only works well to secure the front of the jig, it also makes a handy tool for installing the pivot pin detent and spring when the time comes.

It is very important to keep the chips cleared out while machining. Unfortunately I was born with only two hands (both of which are kept firmly around the router) so I came up with this handy, dandy vac attachment out of a piece of 1" copper pipe and some 1" hose from Lowes.

Just be sure to keep it way away from the machining area. I secured mine with a copper pipe hanger

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
Re: 80% receiver finishing tips
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »

While on the subject of drilling, I have a certain order that I like to use. Imagine the holes in the drill guide numbered 1-9 top to bottom.

I like to start out with Hole number #4 which is the only "A" hole. Then I drill #8 which if using a gen ll receiver will be the only "B" depth hole.
Then set your drill to "C" depth and drill the rest of the holes in this order #1, #3, #2, #5, #7, #6. You will not be drilling #9 if you have a gen ll lower. By doing them in this order you will keep any tension equal on both sides of holes #2 & #5. I feel that it is worth consideration because those two holes are extremely close to their neighbors.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:09:02 AM by Jefe »

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »

"A" hole...... ;D

I almost spit DR B through my nose.

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »

If you buy a second drill guide, ( modulus replacement parts ) you could set one up like this and leave it that way.

That's a cool set up for the vacuum.  ( almost as cool as the bucket idea ;))

I am wondering if the "A" hole is too close to the adjacent "c" holes to cause the grabbing issue that I noticed on my 308 jig?  ( I omit using one of the aholes on that one)
I could use your bushing trick in the adjacent c holes if I find I have an issue with it when I get mine.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »

Thanks for the detailed tips. I downloaded and then numbered your drill guide photo. I replaced your photo with the new numbered photo. I also created a second version that is numbered in order and color coded for depth.

I once tried to pre-drill with 1/4" holes but it didn't seem to help like I thought it would. Instead of bushings I just drilled slightly with the 3/8" bit to make a center mark for the 1/4" bit. Of course that only works with a drill press and if you are using a hand drill then a bushing guide would be a very good idea so you don't end up drilling at an angle. I explain what I tried in this topic.

http://www.80percents.com/smf/index.php?topic=35

I'm glad I'm not the only immature mind who laughed at "a" hole :)