80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First time build questions.  (Read 2123 times)

dreorx

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
First time build questions.
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:04 AM »

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, and had a couple of questions for everyone.

I attempted my first ar15 80% lower this weekend and hit a couple of snags. First off, I ended up taking too much from the bottom of my trigger pocket. It's only on one side, and I'd estimate the one side to be about 1/16 of an inch deeper than the other side. The only issue I can see with that is there not being enough material there for the spring to have the appropriate amount of tension. The other side is right on, though.

The other possible issue I have is that one sidewall of the trigger pocket is a little thicker than the other. Im pretty sure that I haven't taken enough material off of the thicker side, which will be easy to fix. My worry is that I took too much from the thinner side. Obviously if I took too much from the one side, I now have a shiny paperweight. Does anyone have a measurement for how thick the sidewalls should be for the trigger pocket?

One of the reasons I probably had trouble is probably due to me using a milling machine rather than a router to mill the pocket. My jig is designed to be used with a router. I'd post pictures if I could, and maybe I can later if that will help.

Thanks in advance!

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First time build questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »

Welcome to the forum. To your first question, The slight extra depth of the pocket should be OK. As long as it isn't too thin (structurally) there should be enough for the spring to tension off. It's not unusual to mill one wall thicker than the other. We have another thread that discusses that.

http://www.80percents.com/smf/index.php/topic,155.0.html

I believe the wall thickness dimension is 0.1" but I could be wrong about that.

dreorx

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for your help! There is still plenty of material in the bottom. So the spring will have plenty of meat to bite on.

Yeah, this has definitely been a learning experience for me, haha. But, it was also fun to get in there and mill out the pocket. I'll almost certainly give it another go in the future.

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »

;) I have manufactured a few useless paperweights myself.   Interesting concept to demill a firearm without having created one to start with .