80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another new 80% noob  (Read 1981 times)

kempoguy

• old retired dude
    • View Profile
Another new 80% noob
« on: March 18, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »

Howdy all, an old, retired, 80% noob here. I've been reading the bits and posts on this forum since last September and decided to try my hand at this in October...talked it over with the wife and she said ok as long as it stays cheap...I bought an Anderson 80% lower ($49.95) in October, with plans of buying a Modulus jig in November. The "boss" asked me to lay off buying stuff until after Christmas...then the trouble began...Modulus was out of stock on jigs, so I said, I'll just buy some parts.  I still stayed cheap...bought a lower parts kit by CMMG for 50 bucks at the end of December...then I bought a DPMS built upper at $89.95...Modulus, still no firm date on delivery...beginning to get sweaty palms here after all the research...I went out and bought an ER Shaw match grade Wylde barrel, $249.95...now the wife is watching...Modulus still has limited availability...That brings us up to today...I bought a Noveske 12" handguard and an Odin works gas block and ss carbine tube, almost 400 bucks. PLEASE, Modulus, get that jig in stock before I order the Fail Zero BCG...I just might get beat silly.l

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Another new 80% noob
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »

It looks like your parts choice has gotten progressively more expensive  :) Anderson, CMMG, DPMS, ER Shaw, Noveske

The AR lends itself to gradual assembly which is why it's hard to have spare parts laying around. They eventually turn themselves into full guns.

I'll buy this lower receiver just to have. Later, I might as well put a lower parts kit in it since they all need that. Later still, that's a really good deal on a stock kit. I might as well get that for this built lower. Finally, I can't have just half a gun laying around. Better buy a complete upper for it.

kempoguy

• old retired dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »

The AR sure is the Lego toy for adults...My cheap build rapidly turned into an SPR...I just gotta have those sub MOA groups at 100 yards.   :)  My wish list just keeps getting longer...and I'm too old to sit on Santa's lap...The wife gonna hit me with her rolling pin soon! I'll post photos this week when I figure out how to size them correctly.

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »

All 3 models of our jigs are currently in stock.

http://www.modulusarms.com/universal-jigs/

kempoguy

• old retired dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »

Arrrhhh...please help...took photos of what I have so far and I'm too old to understand how to upload them.../facepalm...I blew the rest of my allowance this week and bought a Magpul stock kit, an Ergo enhanced grip and an enhanced trigger guard all in OD...less than 100 bucks on Gun Broker, including shipping...My wife gives me my next allowance on the 14th, when my retirement comes in (damn women)...is it gonna be a Modulus jig?...Fail Zero bolt group?...Modulus?...Fail Zero?...I think the Modulus, I won't get beat silly by making a mess outside with the nice weather...but if someone could please explain to this old dude how to upload pictures, thanks guys...This home, cheap project sure did get expensive when my Santa Claus list got going...

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »

When making a post choose the "Attachments and other options" plus symbol and you will see the option to upload an image.