80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New 1st timer here  (Read 1125 times)

lantanatX

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
New 1st timer here
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »

Hello,

I am a first time builder here and thought I would share my experiences so far and ask a few questions.  First off my goal was to build a high quality AR without cutting corners while being smart about costs.  The first step was to find an 80% lower.  I settled on Milzap's 7075 forged black anodized lower. Milzap.com I am very impressed with what appears to be incredible quality.  I then purchased a jig on gunbroker that appeared to be the same one that Milzap shows back ordered on.  The jig I received was a piece of junk and not milled properly.  I have sent that back for a refund and then did my homework.  After doing my homework I had to choose between Modulus and 80% easy jig.  I decided on easy jig with their bits.  for a router I went with a nice but used Makita I found on ebay.  I am currently waiting on the jig and router to arrive.

In the meantime I have also been buying parts.  I want great quality were it counts most and keep the rest fairly simple.  I have a Magpul MOE type hand guard and stock and intend to use a 7075 upper from maybe Aeroprecision.  I want to use the A2 iron front sight/gas block with the handle/rear site that is detachable and mounts on a flat top receiver. One question I have is, If I am using a detachable handle/sight on the flat type receiver, do I need an "F" marked front sight?

7.62X39

• Tech Rep Modulus Arms
    • View Profile
Re: New 1st timer here
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »

After doing my homework I had to choose between Modulus and 80% easy jig.  I decided on easy jig with their bits. 

One question I have is, If I am using a detachable handle/sight on the flat type receiver, do I need an "F" marked front sight?

What did you base your jig choice off of?

Yes, the "F" marked front sight is the correct height for the flat top receiver.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »

What did you base your jig choice off of?

Yes, the "F" marked front sight is the correct height for the flat top receiver.

Yes, as 7.62x39 pointed out. 7.62x39 works for Modulus Arms so I'm sure they would appreciate your thought process on why you chose one jig over another.

Welcome to the forum!

lantanatX

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »

Thank you for the help.  I assumed the "F" marked sight was what was needed but I wanted to make sure since I am using the handle type rear sight.  As far as my decision to go with the 80% Arms jig over the Modulus, I felt both of these were much better to any other alternatives.  I think in the end I was just a little more comfortable with the 80% Arms after watching many videos of each.  Also at the time I didn't know much about routers or which was best to use.  If I had to use a full size router the 80% looked like it had a larger surface and more support for a full size router.  My jig did show up in today's mail so shipping was super fast.