80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best/Easiest 80% Jig  (Read 793 times)

Fobb

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Best/Easiest 80% Jig
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »

I am new to building a 80% ar15 lower and I do have a question.  Which jig is the easiest/idiot proof on the market.  I have watched numerous youtube demonstrations on finishing a lower but not sure which one to purchase. Any information would be helpful.  I am not the most mechanically inclined.

Thank You

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Easiest 80% Jig
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »

I am new to building a 80% ar15 lower and I do have a question.  Which jig is the easiest/idiot proof on the market.  I have watched numerous youtube demonstrations on finishing a lower but not sure which one to purchase. Any information would be helpful.  I am not the most mechanically inclined.

Thank You

I wouldn't say any of them are idiot-proof and I don't find one to be substantially easier to use than the other. They each have their pluses and minuses. As far as ease of use you really just have to learn the jig system you choose. If you understand how the jig works it will help you know when you are doing something wrong. All of the jigs require you to assemble and disassemble various pieces and this is one of the areas you can make mistakes if you are careless or don't realize why the parts go together the way they do. So on that criteria alone I don't think one stands out as appreciably better than the others. But there are many other things that can be considered such as cost, compatibility/universality, tooling and tools required, expandability, etc. It all depends on what is important to you.

Welcome to the forum!

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Easiest 80% Jig
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:24:10 AM »

Howdy FOBB,
If you are not mechanically inclined this might not be the project for you. It is very easy to lose body parts, or worse if you build a defective firearm. Please be safe.
Just because some guys can churn one out in a couple hours doesn't mean yours has to be that fast.  If something isn't going right or you don't feel right, stop and sort it out later.      I was able to assist a friend salvage his lower because he stopped in time. Its ugly on the inside, but nobody will see that.

So now.....
Welcome to the fun! ;D

I have used a few methods.  A lot of the jigs that I have seen are best used with a milling machine. Most drill presses don't hold steady enough to mill accurately or safely.

If you don't have a milling machine, I recommend a router type jig. I have used the ez jig and a first gen modulus jig. That 5d tactical looks promising too.

My best results have been with the Modulus 308 jig, ezjig mill bit, and Dewalt trim router using my bucket method (see my bucket head post).
For lowers without the rear pocket cut the modulus supports the rear without a bolt in the way. My ezjig and the second gen modulus have a nice wide top.
Just remember, the routers weren't designed for this purpose.   Skip the harbor freight routers.

I have also come up with  few tweaks to the instructions on both jigs.

There is a youtube video with a guy complaining about his jig, lower etc.    I don't recall the brand of his jig. I looked it up at the time, and while not for me, the problem wasn't his jig it was him.

I've had varied success and failures with other methods also.