80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NEW 80% Arms Easy Jig universal for AR-15 AND AR-10 platforms  (Read 298 times)

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile

80% Arms has come out with a new universal router jig that works with both AR-15 and AR-308/10 platforms. They claim true universal fit with any lower which would be unique as I have yet to find a jig that is truly universal, although most are close enough.

The introductory price is $200 or $230 for the one that also includes an adapter for a full size router.

https://80percentarms.com/products/easy-jig-gen-2-combined-ar-15-and-308-jig

This appears to be a hybrid of several of the router-based jigs on the market. At first blush the router adapter plate immediately makes me think of the 5D Tactical jig. This system requires a 5/16" end mill but does not touch the jig guide surfaces which can cause deflection of the end mill. Rather than the threaded disc used to connect the back of the receiver to the jig this jig uses a threaded tube which doubles as a Shop-Vac attachment point. I hope it works as well in practice as I want it to in my mind. Attaching at the rear of the lower is new for 80% Arms as all previous iterations of the Easy Jig relied on sandwiching the lower between two plates. Using the rear of the receiver for centering, as the Modulus Arms and 5D Tactical jig do, should eliminate any off-center issues that could occur with non-symmetrical (generally some billet) lowers.

The end mill depth gauges are now built into the jig surface (like the 5D Tactical jig) which makes the system more compact and I'd imagine cheaper to make. I personally prefer a separate end mill depth gauge because I find setting the depth on the side of the top plate to be harder to get right. It's a small matter though and if I was making a jig I'd go with this method as well. The only time you really need to get the depth just right is on the final pass anyway.

Although the router adapter plate and "no touchy" system bring to mind the 5D Tactical jig the method of following the guide is different. The 5D Tactical uses a system of changeable aluminum pins in the adapter plate which follow machined guides in both sides of the top plate. The new Easy Jig system uses what appear to essentially be a router bit collar on the adapter plate that simply keeps the end mill away from the jig surfaces. This is similar to what I had done early with the first Easy Jig in using a router collar with my router except I had to eventually remove the collar to finish up the last bit of machining (and touch the jig surface). The new Easy Jig does not require that.

The highlights I see from the description are:

• Natively works with both AR-15/10 platforms with no additional plates/adapters required to buy
  • Has an option to use a full-size router at an additional cost
  • Shop-Vac attachment at the end of the "buffer tube" area (Yay! Finally)
  • No disassembly of the jig to remove a lower (which can be done in a claimed 10 seconds thanks to clevis pins)
  • End mill does not contact the jig guide surfaces (like the 5D Tactical)
  • Solid steel side plates and drill surfaces

The downside, if you already have a 1/4" end mill, is you have to buy the 5/16" end mill. This is like the 5D Tactical jig in that regard but not an issue if do not already have an end mill.

https://80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs/products/5-16-hybrid-end-mill-for-gen-2-easy-jig

To use a full-size router requires an additional purchase but at least it is an option as opposed to the 5D Tactical jig. The standard Easy Jig (which only works with AR-15 OR AR-10) does not require any additional adapter nor does the Modulus Arms jig system (again, these do either AR-15 or AR-10).

I'll continue to look over the new jig and see if I can get a review sample in to do some more extensive testing with my current library of lowers. What are your thoughts about this new jig?

number6mbw

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: NEW 80% Arms Easy Jig universal for AR-15 AND AR-10 platforms
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »

Posting my non-universal easy jig for sale tomorrow. Had been contemplating it, as I would have to modify it to work on my lower, but this makes it a definite matter.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »

Posting my non-universal easy jig for sale tomorrow. Had been contemplating it, as I would have to modify it to work on my lower, but this makes it a definite matter.

I made a new board to list buy/sell/trade items. You can post your jig there if you'd like.

http://www.80percents.com/smf/index.php/board,9.0.html

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:37:09 AM »

plus one on the separate guide.
 akward to use on top plate and impossible with the bucket method. I would find it annoying and maybe catch fingers near a power tool.
Can substitute with a cheap combo square from wally world or home depot.
I use my guide as i go and mark it with a sharpie to check for tool creep or keep track of my progress if i get pulled away.

Ill have to check it out. My christmas list may have gotten longer.

Maybe the vendors could sponser a challenge...... How fast can a poly lower  be finished on each jig ?  eparmory has that cheap bulk deal

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »

Looked into it.
Now i NEEEEEED one.

Definately a contender for top spot. i just need hands on.

the new mill may work with the older jig and modulus jig.

the only thing next is a 0% jig..........  i'm on it !!!

number6mbw

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

Anyone get one in yet? Got mine on order, havent seen much live feedback on it.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »

Anyone get one in yet? Got mine on order, havent seen much live feedback on it.

I have not but I was told that they had none in stock but that was about 2.5 weeks ago.

number6mbw

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »

Mail came yesterday. New Frontier lower fits fine. Milling this weekend.