80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AR9 build  (Read 967 times)

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
AR9 build
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »

Has anyone built an AR9 lower yet?  I just finished routing one on a modulus jig but the parts kit is different enough from a 15 that I'm clueless about a couple of pieces. 

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AR9 build
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »

I have not but can you post a picture of the mystery pieces?

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »

Here it is....  It's a glock mag AR9 from 80-lower.  I sent a message to them yesterday and received a quick reply but they said that they would try to get some videos made or get back to me, which I haven't heard from them yet.  I've built 2 AR15 lowers following the video on this site but this AR9 has some hex screws that I don't have a clue where they go.  I need to get a pic of the mag release too, I "think" it is basically the same as for an AR15.

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »

Ignore the red circle on the pic of the lower itself.  That part of the lower wasn't assembled either.  I had a question as to the tightness of those screws.  I assume they hold that piece above it in place but there is some slop/wiggle to that piece regardless of the tightness of the screws.  I haven't ever seen another dedicated AR9 in person, so I don't know.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:00:10 PM »

The small silver screw is probably for the rear takedown pin spring. Instead of retaining the spring with the receiver end plate some lowers have that hole threaded and then the spring is retained with that screw. The longer screw, which is only partially threaded, is originally from the AR-308 DPMS style receiver. It is the bolt catch retaining pin in that capacity. Instead of driving a split pin into the receiver this screw just pushes in and then threads in place. It looks like your receiver uses a traditional AR-15 type pin. Save that other pin though as they are worth about $4-6 if you ever need to use them in a receiver designed for them.

gcbailey

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »

The longer pin was actually for the bolt catch release, it is threaded on this particular lower.  You are correct about the smaller silver screw, it was for the rear take down pin.  It appears that the kit is missing the spring and button for the magazine catch.  I'm guessing that it is a standard bolt catch spring/button?  Here's a link to the lower - https://www.80-lower.com/collections/ar9-80-lower/products/ar9-lower-receiver