80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: [VIDEO] 80% lower completion using the Easy Jig, drill press and router  (Read 3641 times)

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile

We just uploaded our first video to YouTube. It's a tutorial on how to complete an AR-15 80% lower receiver using the 80% Arms Easy Jig, a drill press and a router.

http://youtu.be/ozNGFRvo0gE

number6mbw

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: [VIDEO] 80% lower completion using the Easy Jig, drill press and router
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »

I noticed that you did the "recommended" plunge cut on your final passes on the main pocket. Something that has worked well for me is getting down to the last pass or so on the pocket, then swapping to the trigger hole template, drill the hole, then go back to the main pocket template and use the trigger hole to start your router and side cut the final passes. Eliminated the weird chatter I got by trying to plunge cut it.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »

I noticed that you did the "recommended" plunge cut on your final passes on the main pocket. Something that has worked well for me is getting down to the last pass or so on the pocket, then swapping to the trigger hole template, drill the hole, then go back to the main pocket template and use the trigger hole to start your router and side cut the final passes. Eliminated the weird chatter I got by trying to plunge cut it.

Honestly, I didn't realize that was the recommended method until you said it and I looked through the Easy Jig PDF. I had mostly been watching the 80% Arms video and it doesn't mention that at all. That's a good tip though. It could also be drilled out before the router work started. That would only be preferable to me so I don't have to take the jig out of the vice, where I do router work, and over to the drill press, where I do the drilling, and then back again. Thanks

AR_Yankee

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »

I did not do that, but wish that I had. I was making several micro sized plunge cuts, and that still resulted in chatter and actually caused my only real "hop" of the router.

Thanks.