80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 80% ARMS EASY JIG & LOWER RECEIVER  (Read 3767 times)

AR_Yankee

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
80% ARMS EASY JIG & LOWER RECEIVER
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »

I had previously posted a truncated version on a different site. However, the kind admin here are kind enough to allow more than 2,000 characters.

80% Arms Easy Jig and Lower Receiver.

If you are reading this, it's quite possible that you found yourself here for the same reason I did; Research. For a variety of reasons, I decided that I wanted to build an AR15, and I set out to do just that.

[if you came here looking for a quick 'yay or nay' to the 80% Arms Easy Jig, my response would be absolutely you should get the Easy Jig. Great product backed by great customer service.]

It didn't take long before I realized that 75% of the information out there was based on opinion, hypothesis, or brand loyalty. It didn't matter what forum I was on, what video I was watching; There was simply too much inconsistency with the information I was finding, which did nothing but leave me frustrated.

I spent 3 solid days combing the same sites, tech sheets, reviews, etc. And finally reached a point where I felt that I just had to make a decision and let the cards lay where they may.

Some things I was specifically interested in with regard to the jig:
1. Easy
2. Reliable
3. Ability to complete work with only the use of simple tools. (no drill presses, mills, lathes, cnc, etc.)
4. Good instruction
5. Solid customer service backing a strong reputation.

In the end, I opted for 80% Arms. I called first thing in the morning (PST) and was greeted by a gentleman named Jeff. He answered all of my questions, and even entertained my 10 minutes of banter over frustrations I had experienced in finding the (IDEAL) jig best suited for me. And honestly, anyone surviving my yap that long, deserves my business.

Long story short (I know, it's too late for that); less than 2 days later I had an 80% Arms Easy Jig, and stripped 80% lower (non-anodized).

In my endeavors, I came across a video where a guy had completed his lower on a flimsy flexing table with a drill, an absolute POS laminate router, and a C-clamp. His results, near perfect. To me, that was PRECISELY what I was looking for, and I found it with 80% Arms.

Whereas, I have access to a mill, a drill press, and other associated machinery, I truly wanted to complete this AR build with nothing but the most rudimentary of tools, and in an environment that was less than accommodating. Basically, I wanted to emulate what I had seen that one gentleman do. In the end, I did, and with the same results. Perfect.

THE GOOD
Great customer service. You can witness yourself by following the comments left at ar15.com by their staff during their product launch. Anyone with experience in product launches knows what kind of a nightmare it can be. 80% Arms maintained focus, courtesy, calm, etc. An obviously well-experienced person with customer service was at the helm there, and it made major points with me. That same great customer service only continued with my transaction with Jeff.

The “spacer” in their kit is truly what sets them aside from the rest, and they know it. This is what allows an end user to utilize a hand-held router, as opposed to a mill, drill press, etc.

Post processing and I can barely tell a difference with the Easy Jig. Therefore, even with my wobbly table, C-clamp, 6 cups of coffee setup, the Easy Jig shows no sign of abnormal wear, and will certainly enjoy more use in the future. Durable to say the least.

The video was fantastic. It was very helpful for exactly what they intended and that was to be used as a “guide”, not necessarily a “step-by-step” instruction. I referenced it during the entire build process. The written instructions are very nice as well. Whereas I give the video a definite thumbs up, there are inconsistencies which need to be fixed. *see below

It's Easy. No, I mean really easy. I honestly had a lot of fun building the lower receiver, and I credit that to the ease of use. 

Zero slop. The tolerances are amazingly precise. No slack whatsoever. At the same time, they are not too tight as to impede fitting of the precision parts. (I did a small stint as a QC inspector for an aerospace contractor. Let me tell you, the quality (control) with 80% Arms lower receiver is SPOT the F*** ON!.

Speed of order/delivery was worthy of note. I had all my parts from 80% Arms delivered to me from southern California, to northeast New England in under 2 days. Standard shipping price mind you. I challenge others to meet that.

By the way, their T-shirts rock, seriously. I could give 3 rippin' shits about attire, but I got one of their olive drab 80% Arms t-shirts and no joke, it's a badass T-shirt. 

THE BAD

It's not cheap. However, with all things considered (the convenience of using the hand held router, and ease of which the Easy Jig works, it's really not a 'con'. So, despite its cost, it's still the most cost effective solution out there.

The anodizing. Apparently the quality control over the jig itself doesn't share the same department as that of the lower receiver. Mine had pretty sloppy anodizing on more than one plate. Trivial really, unless you want to stare at your Easy Jig for hours. I'd rather put on my cool ass 80% Arms t-shirt and go hawk chicks all day. Your call.

The left plate didn't appear to have received the same processing as the right. The bevel on the top holes was nothing compared to the right plate, and the threading was very dirty. I could only hand thread the screw approximately 1.5 turns. Whereas on the right plate, I could hand screw nearly half of the screw before I met resistance. It's an obvious difference that could have led to stripped screws or jig plate had I not caught it in time.

Inconsistencies with the instructions. The video and written instructions really need to be updated with errors fixed.

THE UGLY (the truly picky bullsh*t that I'm only including as feedback for continuous improvement purposes).

Packaging. In future rounds of budget talks, consider sourcing some pretty packaging. Many people don't like to spend that kind of money to get a bubble wrapped sack of parts. - personally I could care less, it saved me the hassle of unboxing and less garbage too.

A sticker. Only because your T-shirts are so cool. Second thought, I think there may be an actual regulatory requirement for including a sticker with firearm parts. Regardless, make it so.

FINAL REMARKS – It's a newer company, with a fairly newer product line. With that being said, it may not contain the 'flair' of a company conditioned over a 50 year existence. However, it's quite obvious that they believe in their product, take the business quite serious, and are COMMITTED to making the customer happy. I, as their customer, made a purchase on a faith that it would work. It worked perfectly and precisely as they advertised. I am beyond happy with 80% Arms and not only will I return, I will share my great experience with others. Thank you 80% Arms for making this build a ridiculously easy piece of cake.

AR_Yankee
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:52:20 PM by Jefe »

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 80% ARMS EASY JIG & LOWER RECEIVER
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

Thanks for providing that in depth review! I linked to it on our Facebook page and on the 80% Arms Facebook page.

AR_Yankee

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »

Thanks for providing that in depth review! I linked to it on our Facebook page and on the 80% Arms Facebook page.

Thanks Jefe. It was a total blast to build. I really enjoyed it. Part of me is sad that the build is complete. I guess there's only one way to fix that... BUILD ANOTHER!!!

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »

Thanks Jefe. It was a total blast to build. I really enjoyed it. Part of me is sad that the build is complete. I guess there's only one way to fix that... BUILD ANOTHER!!!

You need an AR pistol. I'm sure of it.

TheUX31EGuy

• The Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

Thanks for the review AR_Yankee. I've been searching for an in depth review on the Easy Jig for awhile. Will definitely order one of these soon...