80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ghost Gun AR15 lower receiver laser engraved  (Read 15975 times)

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ghost Gun AR15 lower receiver laser engraved
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »

Perfect for all of my ghost hunting needs this AR15 "ghost gun" lower started as an anodized, forged 7075 80% receiver blank. Prior to machining I had the blank laser engraved with a design I created. Thanks to the 80% nature of the receiver (no markings) I had a blank canvas to work with. I incorporated elements from three famous ghosts/movies. The left magwell features my favorite part, a smiling Casper the Friendly Ghost holding an AR15 carbine. The selector positions are marked for the nature of the threat from beyond; "FRIENDLY" (safe), "SLIMER" (semi) and "POLTERGEIST" (full auto). I should note that this is a semi-auto receiver even though I made a selector marking for a full auto position. The right magwell has a Ghostbusters-style "GHOSTGUNS" design with the Poltergeist II quote "They're ba-ack..." below it.

Special thanks go to Mike at Westbank Engraving in Harvey, LA for making my design a reality. And for only $50! Several hours were spent at Westbank in making the conversion from Adobe Illustrator (what I designed with) to CorelDRAW (what their CO2 laser engraving machine uses). Not to mention the time it took to make sure everything was sized correctly and lined up where it should on the lower. The final CorelDRAW formatted file is saved at Westbank Engraving so if anyone else wants this design on their lower contact them at 504-366-3241. You will need to send in your 80% receiver as an unfinished blank and not as a machined lower because Westbank Engraving does not have an FFL.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Gun AR15 lower receiver laser engraved
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »

Reddit member jkpinatl suggested a "Boo Berry" variant with a "cereal" number. I liked the idea so I mocked it up.

highsierra

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »

That Casper logo is awesome! You should make t-shirts. I know I'd buy one or 4 (:
Don't suppose you've got an image file you'd be willing to share?

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »

That Casper logo is awesome! You should make t-shirts. I know I'd buy one or 4 (:
Don't suppose you've got an image file you'd be willing to share?

It was designed for the laser engraver but I think it would translate as a PNG with a transparent background. The gun is black with a white outline but I think it might be better without the white outline as long as the background it was being put on was not also black. Then you'd need the white outline to make it show up. What size would you like the image to be (height in pixels)?

highsierra

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »

What size would you like the image to be (height in pixels)?

Thanks! Here is what I've been told will work best for a roughly 15"x15" t-shirt image:
be saved as .png, .jpg, .bmp, or .gif (transparent formats, i.e. .gif or .png, are preferred)
be at least 200 dpi
not be larger than 4000 x 4000 pixels
not be larger than 10 MB

If I end up printing them, I'll be sure to send you one!