80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Barbie Dream Rifle AR-15  (Read 11401 times)

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Barbie Dream Rifle AR-15
« on: November 06, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »

About a week ago I showcased the Ghost Gun AR-15 lower receiver which I had laser engraved with a design I created. Now I want to show you my latest creation. I call it the Barbie Dream Rifle. The Barbie Dream Rifle is a concept I came up with years ago but never had the opportunity to fully create until recently. Several months ago 80% Arms introduced a pink anodized lower receiver blank to their lineup. This was just the blank canvas I needed. I contacted 80% Arms and asked them to do a special order for me of their pink anodized lower receiver but in 7075 billet aluminum. I then ordered a raw 7075 upper receiver from Tactical Machining and forwarded that on to 80% Arms to have anodized with my special order 7075 at the same time to ensure a color match.

While all of that was happening I got to work on my laser engraving design. I had already created a lower receiver in Adobe Illustrator for the Ghost Gun project so it was just a matter of changing the design and then adding something extra for the upper receiver. I knew it had to say "Dream Rifle" somewhere in keeping with the Barbie Dream theme (like the Barbie Dream House, Barbie Dream Car, etc.). Because I was starting with an 80% receiver blank I had both magwells available for the design. Unlike the Ghost Gun project, I did not have any selector markings to play with because the 80% Arms lowers come pre-engraved with SAFE and SEMI.

I knew I wanted to have the old-school "Barbie" logo on it so I added that at an angle to the right magwell. On the left magwell I went with a Barbie head logo. Finally, I decided to put "Dream Rifle" on the left side of the upper receiver. I came across a Barbie font generator online and used that to create the Dream Rifle text which I then modified in Illustrator. Once complete, I took it to the engraver and had it finalized. I'm told the pink anodizing is Type II which I believe is why it burned all the way through to the aluminum receiver while the Type III of the Ghost Gun just burned in a white image on the black anodizing. After the engraving was finished it was ready for machining which was done with the original 80% Arms Easy Jig.

The final rifle may look like a lark, done up in multiple shades of pink and black, but it is actually made of quality parts. The upper and lower are 7075 aluminum as is the mil-spec receiver extension from PSA. The barrel is an FN manufactured cold hammer forged model with an M4 profile, 1:7 twist rate and a YHM Phantom flash hider. The front sight is a fixed F2-marked mil-spec with a Magpul MBUS 2 flip-up rear and a Bushmaster sourced red dot with quick release riser. The bolt carrier is a Bushmaster AR-15 model with a PSA HP/MPI bolt and a Wolff extra power extractor spring. The charging handle is the medium latch Gunfighter from VLTOR. All furniture is Magpul MOE, obviously in pink. The lower parts kit is from PSA with an added DPMS 2-stage trigger, KNS anti-rotation pins and an RRA "star" safety selector. There were two different pink magazines purchased for the carbine (both shown in the picture above). One is a now discontinued anodized pink aluminum magazine from C-Products and the other is a coated pink aluminum magazine from D&H. I also looked at pink magazines from Thermold, which look like they would match the pink Magpul furniture, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $32.45 shipped for a single magazine. Neither MidwayUSA nor Brownell's seem to carry that magazine so it isn't something I could just add to an existing order.

Special thanks go out to Tilden at 80% Arms for making my special order happen. This project would not have worked out, because I wouldn't have done it, without the special order anodizing on the upper receiver. And also for getting one of their 7075 lowers anodized in pink with it to match (normally only available in 6061 aluminum).

number6mbw

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: The Barbie Dream Rifle AR-15
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

Nice work!

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »

Calguns member ct1222 suggested a My Little Pony variant so I thought that would be fun to mock up. The logo is a take on the Colt logo with the colt replaced by a pony.

TheUX31EGuy

• The Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »

Calguns member ct1222 suggested a My Little Pony variant so I thought that would be fun to mock up. The logo is a take on the Colt logo with the colt replaced by a pony.

Epic idea, Jefe.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

I was just looking over Vader Tactical's photo gallery and saw this mock up. Love it.