80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ATF Issues First Ruling of the New Year  (Read 2258 times)

highsierra

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
ATF Issues First Ruling of the New Year
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

Found this on the interwebs today:
http://blog.princelaw.com/2015/01/03/atf-issues-first-ruling-of-the-new-year-is-it-the-end-of-80-lowers/

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Firearms/FirearmsIndustry/atf-ruling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf

Seems to indicate that individuals can still manufacture firearms themselves put places limits on getting outside help. Also, it seems to restrict businesses and organizations. Interesting read.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ATF Issues First Ruling of the New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »

Thanks for posting this. It seems like it will only affect people who are trying to finish their lowers at someone else's machine shop. Nothing in there about DIY at home. A lot of interesting points raised by Prince as far as "memberships" and how far reaching this is. I'm sure it's targeting those places that offer a "come and push the button" machining service on lowers. I don't agree with the idea that machine shops can't rent their equipment to whomever for whatever (legal) purpose. Now what if a friend comes over to your house and they use your jig and tools? What if you "supervise" by offering advice? Are you now acting as an unlicensed manufacturer?

highsierra

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »

Yep. I agree with all your points.

The idea of investing in jigs, bits, specific tools, etc is a lot more appealing if it can be shared with a friend. This seems to prevent even that. The unfortunate consequence will likely be that folks will be much less inclined to offer any help in any form at all.   

Straight Arrow

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

This seems to apply to my question posted under "Starting a local 80% lower club with intent to buy a Ghost Gunner or other CNC".  I hadn't noticed this post prior to posting my own.  I definitely agree with Prince as stated in the linked article that the ATF is over-reaching here.  All we want to do is share tools and expertise.  It's a lot like asking your neighbor for help with a plumbing problem, and/or if you can borrow a tool.  In our case the tool just happens to be capable of turning a hunk of aluminum into a firearm.  But because it involves something that can 'expel a projectile' sharing that tool is now illegal.