80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Polymer80 G150 Phoenix 80% AR lower receiver review  (Read 2496 times)

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Polymer80 G150 Phoenix 80% AR lower receiver review
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »

Discuss the review of this lower posted here:

http://80percents.com/polymer80_lower_review.html

enginetrics

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: Polymer80 G150 Phoenix 80% AR lower receiver review
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »

Very nice review.
The Polymer80 Phoenix was my first polymer receiver to mill. I usually use aluminum. The problem I had with the kit was 1) it didn't come with the screws to hold the jig in place once assembled. This resulted in the top of the jig flaring out a bit when passing the bit along the side walls in the pocket. I ended up with thinner side walls than spec. 2) It didn't come with the snap in portion of the jig that is used as a template to drill the trigger holes. I ended up eyeballing the location to drill for the trigger hole and failed. 48 hrs later with epoxy and Dremel repairs completed, the lower was finished.
Now, don't get me wrong. Its a fine lower receiver to mill but if you are accustomed to milling aluminum and using an XY vise with drill press, take your time and try to use a different jig - preferably a metal one.
I emailed customer support about repair methods and got a response from Mike Nolan. He was willing to sort out my issues with the receiver if my repairs failed. I have heard that Polymer80 has great customer support and believe its true.
With all this being said, I prefer using aluminum. The polymer receiver is definitely easier to mill due to being less dense than aluminum and repairing is possible with epoxy but I personally don't like the feel of the polymer or the idea of using a receiver that has been repaired with epoxy.
Is the finished product sturdy? Yes. Will I try again? Probably.