80 Percent Builder Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EP Armory gen2 80% AR lower receiver review  (Read 5159 times)

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EP Armory gen2 80% AR lower receiver review
« on: May 12, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »

Discuss the review of this lower posted here:

http://80percents.com/ep_armory_80lower_review.html

mtbandy

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
Re: EP Armory gen2 80% AR lower receiver review
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:32:22 PM »

About a year ago I got the bug to build with an 80% lower. I was mostly intrigued by the finishing process but the lack of serial number is always nice too. After researching I thought a polymer lower would be the easiest for my first lower. I was convinced I would damage the first one so I planned to buy a second. Then thought of the next rifle came to mind so I planned to buy three. Next thing I know I've ordered a 6-pack of EP Armory's Gen2 Polymer lowers.
Using an 80% Arms Easy Jig I set into finishing my first 80% lower. Everything went great except for one minor error. My mind slipped and when I drilled the trigger hole, I went all the way to the trigger guard. It doesn't hurt the function of the rifle, it's just a cosmetic difference. Everything assembled fine. I used a Palmetto State Armory assembled upper with a 20" CHF barrel and PSA lower build kit.
The rifle shoots great but developed a problem. The bolt doesn't lock back. After some investigation I found the bolt catch is too loose and doesn't always catch the mag follower. At first it didn't bother me. Then I built my next rifle. One again I went to PSA for a 14.5" CHF barrel (with pinned flash hider) and lower build kit. It has the same problem. I thought it might be a problem with the LPK so I picked up a Spikes Tactical kit... same problem.
I briefly gave up on using 80% lowers and bought two forged 100% lowers. After looking over EP Armory's website I found their Lifetime Warranty. After exchanging a few emails I'll be sending my lowers back to them. Hopefully I can get that taken care of quickly and not be stuck with six polymer paperweights.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »

Did you try or have you considered trying the plastic washer shim I describe on the review page of the first generation EP Armory lower?

http://80percents.com/ep_armory_lower_review.html

That's going to be a lot easier and cheaper than returning six lowers and then having to re-machine six more.

mtbandy

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:51:57 AM »

I considered a small washer but decided to just send them back. I did use a temporary shim behind the bolt catch and it still barely caught the mag follower. Before sending them off I pulled out my calipers and took a few measurements. I don't have the numbers in front of me but they were off from the PSA 100%s that I have. I received a TM forged yesterday and it seemed to match up with my PSA lowers. When the replacements come from EP I'll put the calipers back on them and see how they look.

mtbandy

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »

A week ago I received an email from EP Armory saying my lowers worked fine and they would not be replacing them. This is after telling me to send them in for warranty replacement and I had to destroy them to ship. Now they aren't even answering my emails and put me on infinite hold when I call. I guess I'm chalking this one up as an expensive lesson learned.

helidude350

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »

I wish I had seen this post earlier.
If they were "in spec", then I could see that they would not replace them.
I have done a check of several ar15 type rifles ( non 80%) and found that they do not always work with the bolt hold open.
Sometimes it is the design of that variant, pistol caliber, wildcat or whatever.
Sometimes it is other fit factors without the parts being out of spec.
There are various bolt hold open designs that are different that may or may not work together.
Example is an ar15 bolt hold open may not work in an ar10.

I have done gen1 and gen2 ep lowers with varied results. Some was their product and some was my fabrication.
The gen1 had a take down pin dimension issues. I found a couple ways around that.
The gen2 seem to mostly fix that, but different uppers have different tolerances.
I always drilled the bolt catch hole on mine. Solved the tight fit cracking issue.

Sometimes parts just aren't right. I didn't get my hands on yours, so I cant say.
I did send 2 gen1 back to them un touched by me, and requested hand checked ones  to be sure that they fit uppers.
They just gave me a refund.
I have ordered some since with no complaints, other than color shade. My taste preference, not a product defect.

I don't hold much faith in warranties. I find them mostly as useless as insurance.

If I'm offshore and a tool breaks, I am stuck out. The snap on guy wont be there in an hour.

This type of product is hard to warranty because it depends on your skills.  Kind of like asking the guy that built your garage to warranty the door because you backed a van into it that was too tall.

I did receive junk from viper defense. But that is another story.

How many did you complete?
How many did you send back?

Sorry my info is too late to be helpful.

mtbandy

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »

I bought a bulk pack of 6. While I had the tools out to finish my second, I finished them all. I also sent all 6 back. So right now I'm out 6 lowers or $200.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:56 AM »

I bought a bulk pack of 6. While I had the tools out to finish my second, I finished them all. I also sent all 6 back. So right now I'm out 6 lowers or $200.

That's BS. They shouldn't have OK'd the return if they weren't willing to replace them, regardless of their opinion of the problem upon receipt. Share your story on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/new/

mtbandy

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »

I posted on Reddit and as much as I hate to, trying to get their attention via social media.

mykall

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »

Fact is that unless they refund or replace, the lowers are still YOUR property not theirs.  I'd be interested to know what their position is on this??  Did they even refuse to send them back?  Unless I'm missing something in this, the ball is in their court legally...they've got to make good or return your property.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:19:18 AM »

This reminds me of why I always pay with a credit card. Chargeback privileges.

Deathklok

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »

So I've had one of these for a month or so and just now test fit the upper mag release and bolt catch before milling and all seem good.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »

So I've had one of these for a month or so and just now test fit the upper mag release and bolt catch before milling and all seem good.

That's good to see. Welcome to the forum!

Deathklok

• 80percenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »

So this morning I finished my EP Armory Gen 2 lower.My jig of choice has been the Easy jig universal router jig.This isn't my first 80 as I've done 2 forged Aluminum and a polymer 80 and JMT lowers.First off I drilled the FCG pocket then the safety,trigger and hammer holes.Then finished the Fire control group pocket.Love how easy polymer is to mill out.I did have to smooth out the top of the buffer tube mount because the charging handle was a bit tight when pulling it out.The pivot pin and takedown pins are snug and the upper has little to no gap.Overall satisfied with this $25 polymer lower.

Jefe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »

So this morning I finished my EP Armory Gen 2 lower.My jig of choice has been the Easy jig universal router jig.This isn't my first 80 as I've done 2 forged Aluminum and a polymer 80 and JMT lowers.First off I drilled the FCG pocket then the safety,trigger and hammer holes.Then finished the Fire control group pocket.Love how easy polymer is to mill out.I did have to smooth out the top of the buffer tube mount because the charging handle was a bit tight when pulling it out.The pivot pin and takedown pins are snug and the upper has little to no gap.Overall satisfied with this $25 polymer lower.

I think they're a good way to start too. They're cheap and easy to machine so you can become familiar with the process.